Saturday, August 27, 2011

A BBQ

We went out his weekend to our old ward in Kaysville.  We are still good friends with a couple of families and we go back out every now and then.  This time it was the ward BBQ.  It was super fun, a big bounce house, good food, lots of adult games, and of course good friends.

I was in charge of getting food while Dave watched the kids.  I went up to get in line and I was stopped by a kid.  "Hey, what's up?" to which I replied a simple "Hi."  I took a few looks at him, being my old ward, I was trying to place him....but just couldn't.   So I got some some plates, started loading up, and I was talking to my old friend.  She stopped mid sentence and pointed behind her, "I think he is trying to talk to you,"  I looked back, and there was that kid, this time waving his arms in front of his face to get my attention.

"So, how was your summer?"
"It was fabulous, thanks."  I returned to getting food, nervously wondering if this kid was hitting on me....I went back to Dave and pointed him out.  Dave was the Young Men's president when we lived there, so I thought for sure he would know him.  Nope.  Neither did our friends who we were with.  At least I didn't feel bad for not remembering him....

Now we're eating.  And the kids are playing.  There were long church tables set up in rows.  I was sitting on one side, Dave was right across from me.  Next to him was our friend Paul, and next to him Nicole.  So I guess I looked alone....He came up, sat down RIGHT next to me (we were touching...until I scooted a little) "Hi" (said flirtatiously) me, "Hi" I was so embarrassed with Dave sitting right there. I looked up at him and he had a smirk on his face...his smirk said "have fun..." and he got up "to check on the kids" and left me with him!!!!!  Nicole looked up at me and quietly asked if I figured out who he is.  I quietly said no, but was thinking I knew exactly why he was there!  He leans over to me (as I am VERY passive and just not looking/talking to him)  And asks "What music do you listen to?"

Paul heard, and FINALLY figured out what was going on....I looked up at him and mouthed "HELP."  Because apparently, even though I am 28, married, have two kids....I still get uncomfortable and flustered when a 16 yr. old hit on me!  Pathetic, I know.  Paul looks up at him and asks "So, how old are you, 15...?"
"NO, I'm 16..."
"You do realize that SHE is almost 30...." (His face falls, seriously shocked..) "...married....and that guy that just left, sitting across from her....that was her husband.... (more shocked)  ....and he got up to check on their two kids over there...."  Now he has a look of sheer embarrassment.  Which is why I was even hesitating to say something before.  I HATE being embarrassed, and even more, hate causing embarrassment...and I knew the information I had to share...was definitely embarrassing for him!  Any way...his friend was laughing and making fun of him (making me feel worse) saying comments about  wished he had a camera to record this and post it on you tube...etc...and then flirty boy said something about Dave getting mad at him for hitting on me and that he would "stab him in the neck"??? To which Paul told him (I still hadn't said a word...) that Dave would be flattered a 16 yr. old was hitting on me, and to not be embarrassed.  It was all so awkward and uncomfortable...but everyone around us seemed to be having a good time....after hearing all the information he could handle...he said "I am going to awkwardly stand up and walk away now..."  I waved to him with a look of "sorry..." on my face, and he was gone!   It was a bizarre night....16...REALLY...I get young 20's a lot....but 16???? CRAZY!

Any way...we didn't take any pictures of the night...but later discovered that Sophie took a video.  It's not terribly entertaining...but kinda funny...and the only other thing I have to share!  Enjoy.

1 comment: