Saturday, September 3, 2011

Joseph

JOSEPH AND THE TECHNICOLOR DREAM COAT.....it has been a favorite of mine for a LONG time.  I had the opportunity to see it preformed at the Hale center in Salt Lake City, with my Aunt Jenni.

A little background on why it is so special to me..When I was 9 or 10  Brittany and I were in our schools' kid choir.  Which was a little more than a regular choir.  We had to try out...and apparently at one time I wasn't tone deaf and could sing on key.  We sang for The President, Ronald Reagan...did a Disney Land appearance, and Knotts Berry Farm.  It was really fun, and since we're such a musical family it just seemed normal.  As a choir, we took a bus into LA, and tried out for the kid choir in Joseph and the Technicolor Dream Coat.  It was the Broadway production in LA.  We got a call back but unfortunately, didn't quite make it.  We were however the understudies, and got to sing with the cast.  It was my first experience with this play, and I just LOVED it.  The music, the feeling, being on a BIG stage with famous actors...it was surreal.  We didn't end up singing on stage for the production to the public ( I mean when does a whole kids choir need understudies, really?)  But we got to go to opening night.   And I think for my love of the play, this was more exciting to watch the production, and really see it, than to be on stage.   We even got to meet "Mr. Belvedere" I think my Mom pointed out more people in the audience...but I can't remember now.  I do remember that Joseph was played by Damien Rice who was the lead in "The Young and the Restless" at the time ;)

My glasses had broke the prior week, so throughout the play my Mom and I took turns wearing hers.  Even when it wasn't my turn I could still hear the beautiful music and feel it.  It was a WONDERFUL night.  And my love for that play was set.  Fast forward 5 years.  We are now in Utah and it's my little sisters' turn.   Carlee tried out for the play at Rodgers Memorial, and got the part.  My other little sister, Kelsey, and I ,went to almost every show.  It was so fun and brought me back to my days..(even though I wasn't actually in it :)  Iv'e seen it probably at least 5 times...but I can't actually remember how many times we went to see Carlee...

So when my Aunt called me up and told me she had an extra ticket and wanted to invite me....I was ECSTATIC!   And it didn't disappoint.   It wasn't quite at the caliber of the LA show.  But it did seem a little better than Rodgers.  It was arranged a little differently, and I loved it.  Come to find out that it is The Gibbons (who is a family friend, and Kelsey's boyfriend!)  So that was neat.  Joseph, played by Bradley Quinn Lever, was just incredible.  His voice was so powerful and we had goosebumps pretty much the whole time. The rest of the cast sang really well...but he was just amazing...I guess that's why he got the lead :)  Another fun thing I found out...the other Joseph who plays MWF, Casey Elliot, is a guy I went to school with when I was younger...pretty cool! I had a blast and was so excited to see it again.  I was later telling my friend all about it, and she made the comment that when she goes to plays, concerts, etc...she just feels so ALIVE.  And that says PERFECTLY how I feel.  Alive, and it is such a natural high for me.  Thanks Jenni, for giving me that experience.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed it and were able to come with me! I had a really good time with you! :)

    ReplyDelete