Tuesday, October 4, 2011

When life gives you lemons...

I never thought I'd be spending my night at the hospital.  But who ever really does?  Aubree was jumping on a neighbor's tramp...(that's all I really need to say, right?)  I was inside cooking dinner, and Dave was outside, he heard Aubs scream bloody murder and ran right over.  No one really saw what happened, but she was in a lot of pain.  We took her home and had her rest on the couch.  Dave was by her side while I was getting Soph dinner, and myself.  After a little while, seeing that it was not getting better we decided to take her in.  Her leg looked really weird to me, like it was sunken in.  Thankfully Kelsey was home today, and she offered to stay with Soph so we didn't even have to worry about her.   They did x-rays and confirmed that she has a broken leg.   Her tibia to be exact.  Luckily it wasn't crushed or displaced, it was a clean break.  Unluckily her break goes through her growth plate, the doctor isn't sure what long trem effects that may have, or what it entails. She referred us to Orthopedics and they will review her xray and let us know when we go in to that appointment.   They put her in a temporary splint.  The swelling in her leg needs to be able to run it's course.  It will probably get a little worse, and then let down.  At that point she'll get her cast (that she has already informed us will be pink AND purple...)  and we'll find out more about it.  I want to know how long she'll be in this thing...I may have to do a Halloween costume around it...we'll see.  Anyway, she was very brave, for the most part.  She freaked every time the doctor/nurse had to do something (with good reason) but she wasn't even crying when they were out of the room.  Dave was shocked when the doctor said it was broken because of how awesome she was doing.  She can't put any pressure on it at LEAST until the appointment with Ortho.   But she is living it up.  She just told us that she's lucky!  We made up a little station on the couch for her, and I'll sleep by her side in case she forgets and tries to get up, or needs to go potty...here's the leg and splint (it was really neat seeing them do this, and now that it has set it's rock hard..)

She has her soft blankies, pillow pet, her favorite movie on (Scooby Doo and the Ghost Pirates)
I had to cut her cute shorts off.  Of course I forgot to take them off BEFORE they splinted her leg, and she wasn't wearing a kind that would stretch over.  She thought it was just so funny that I was cutting her shorts.  She'll be living in skirts for a while.  Which makes me wonder, what do boys do?
She's happy as a clam now that her leg is set, and she's drugged up (just with advil :)
And of course we had to take her to Target to get a special treat for being so brave.
The winner....squinkies.
I'll be posting more as we get more info.

2 comments:

  1. Lots of love from Texas. Hope she heals quickly and without any issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor girl!!! Hope she feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete