Thursday, July 21, 2011

Joely Swann

My 4 1/2 year old cousin took a bad fall Saturday night. Her brothers and sisters were playing up on their deck, being silly, and she ((accidentally)) launched herself over the edge. 8 feet, head first onto concrete! She was first taken to the hospital in Preston, ID where she lives. She had a CT and it was determined that her brain was bleeding, and she had multiple skull fractures. She needed care that they could not provide, and was immediately life flighted to Primary Children's. Luckily there are lots of family in Utah, and her Aunt was able to meet the helicopter at the hospital until her parents could make the drive from Preston. I unfortunately lost my phone that very night, and wasn't able to hear about or be supportive until Sunday when they finally got a hold of me!

Joely had to have emergency surgery to fix the bleeding, pressure, and fractures. She had three skull fractures, and a huge chunk of her skull had to come out. They stopped the bleeding, put a shunt in her head, with a tube to help drain the excess blood and fluids to relieve pressure. They froze her skull (that they removed) for an hour while they prepped her. They had to put four metal plates in her head and then replace her skull piece. She is so young, and her skull isn't fully developed yet, which will help her make a full recovery . The metal plates are so small that she won't even set off detectors!

The first day I went to see her (Monday) It just broke my heart. I wasn't quite prepared for what I saw, and frankly there are no words....but I'll try. She was in nothing but a diaper. Tubes and wires were E.V.E.R.Y.W.H.E.R.E. Monitoring her vitals. Two IV's coming out of her feet. Her eye had swollen since the fall and she couldn't even open it. Half of her head was shaved, for the surgery and she had a big old incision along her head. She was so SAD and tired, and all she wanted was her mom to hold her. It was the saddest moment. I couldn't stay for long, and I was trying real hard to hold it together in front of her. I knew she would be okay, but she was still in intensive care. And seeing her that helpless, beat up, and in pain was a little much. I broke down after I left. Thoughts of the miracle of her story, imagining Aubree on that table...and picturing her sad sweet little face did me in.

I went back last night to see her, and it was a WORLD of a difference! She was moved from Intensive Care, to Neuro Trauma.

She had just been bathed, and all the iodine was washed out of her hair. ALL the tubes and wires were gone. (She only had one IV in her hand) She was wearing pajama's and very awake and alert. I couldn't believe what a difference 2 days can make. I didn't take pictures the first time (my phone was still lost) So I can't show you comparisons, but it was HUGE. She looks SOOOOO much better. Even though she still looks sad.
She zonked out after about 45 minuets of me arriving. She had a busy day, being up and around. And hopefully got some needed rest last night.
Here's a close up of her little head. Obviously you can see her incision, which is pretty gnarly. And you can see about the size of skull they removed, and then replaced. Just behind her incision you can see a little "dot" that is where the tube was in her head, to drain the fluids. The patch above her eye is where she directly hit after falling. Besides her swollen eye, all the bruises started showing up that day. Some from the surgery, some from the fall.
Right before she fell asleep, she found her pink bandage, (that probably was wrapped around her IV on her hand....but I'm not sure, it wasn't currently in "use") and she clutched it in her tiny hand. I just thought it was cute.
I am SO grateful that she will have a full recovery. That she sustained NO brain damage. That we have modern day medicine to save lives. Im grateful for the power of prayer. I don't think anyone received more prayers this weekend than her, and it's truly a miracle how she is doing.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this, Aymee. Granni tried to tell me everything that happened, but she wasn't able to relay some of that information.

    I'm so glad she'll be okay. I was praying hard for her and so worried about her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to hear the whole story. It's incredible the miracles we are able to witness. So glad she is going to make a full recovery.

    ReplyDelete