Sunday, May 20, 2012

My little Klutz

I was giving the girls a bath, just a normal routine night.  Including Aubree acting like a spaz child :) 
I told her to calm down or she was going to get hurt.  They hear me say that a lot with no results...so I think they don't really believe me!  Well Aub's was climbing out of the tub and not doing it carefully...being "silly'.  She slipped and smacked her chin HARD on the edge of the toilet.

Here is where I admit what an awesome Mom I am.  Instead of showing empathy...I pointed out that that was EXACTLY what I was talking about.  And to calm down...that she was just fine.  I told her to go get her pajama's on.  She said her chin really hurt so I decided to actually look at it to "placate" her.  Well, I was in for a little surprise.  Her chin had split open.  All my evil emotions left. Just like that. And concern flooded me.  I yelled to Dave (who was just in the next room with Soph) that we needed to go to the hospital.  We got them dressed a quickly as possible and headed out the door. 



We got there and found that we weren't the only ones present who needed stitches.  In fact 4 others needed stitches, including an achilles tendon that had been sliced.  That was just too painful to look at.  The nurse came out with her huge tub of numbing creme and numbed up all the kids!  It takes 20 minuets to be in effect...so we hung out and talked to all the others there.  It was a sad party that you don't want to be invited to.

Aubree was being SO brave.  I am so proud of her.  After she saw us react appropriately to her injury she stepped up and took on a brave face.  She held her washcloth on tightly the whole car ride and had stopped crying.  After they numbed her she was running around greeting everyone and making sure their injuries were okay.  You wouldn't have even known her chin was split open. 


After the 20 minuets were over we got called back.


She was all smiles.

Apparently the numbing creme is strong enough that that is all they need.  NO SHOTS!  What a relief.


They cleaned out the wound, all the while Aub's was just giggling.


Then the doctor came in to do the sutures. Again she was giggling and the doctor was a little baffled.  He said she was the second 5 year old that night that was giggling and that just isn't his normal reaction.  



After the first stitch she started to feel them.  The cotton ball had been sagging off her chin (that held the numbing creme) as soon as I had noticed it I held it up on her chin for her, but I guess it didn't numb all the way.  Again she was so brave.  The doctor said if she could handle just a few more we could avoid a shot.  So she gripped my hand like death, and braved thorough it.


The finished product.  A sewed up little chin.



Tonight they were being crazy again.  I asked them to calm down or someone would get hurt.  Too bad neither of them listened.  Sophie smacked right into Aubree, "bounced" off (literally) hit her face on the edge of our wood table outside, "bounced" again and fell to the cement.  SERIOUSLY!  I took a look at her little mouth, and announced to Dave, again, that we needed to go to the hospital!  This time I just took Soph.  After the LATE night last night and trauma to her chin Aubree needed to get to bed.  We got there and I had a nurse come look at her lip.  It didn't look too bad on the outside, but inside was pretty gnarly.  She took a minuet to look, and decided that they wouldn't need to do stitches.  Phew!  The cut on the bottom of her lip wasn't that deep.  The inside cut was definitely deep enough to warrant stitches...on any other part of her body.  But they don't do any sewing on the inside of the mouth, it heals fast enough that it isn't needed.  She almost bit straight through her lip!  Two nights in a row....but we're not going for a third.  We need a padded room to throw them in from the hour of 7:30-8:30.  It's their crazy time.  




1 comment:

  1. I didn't know Sophie hurt herself the next day too. Poor Soph! I'm glad she didn't need stitches.

    And, I'm glad Aubree's wasn't too bad and that stitches took care of it. Poor Aubs, though. Glad she was brave!

    ReplyDelete