Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Big 5-0

June is a crazy month in my family. In my immediate family we have a birthday every week. If you count my cousins, Aunts, Grandparents and close friends then there are around 20 birthdays! Whew. It's almost worse than Christmas (for the budget) especially when you add in Father's Day. But it is a month full of fun. This year was my Mom's big 5-0 birthday. And my Dad went all out. He contacted EVERYONE with ties to my Mom. Family, friends, her old Bishop when she was a teenager...old roommates etc.. and had us all write a note to her telling her how special she is, happy birthday, or whatever we wanted to say. He printed them all out and made a book for her. Then when they came out here her threw her a surprise party. He had a friend design a 12 foot banner to hang up, asked Kelsey to blow up a million balloons to decorate with, had my Granni and I make her favorite cake, and invited all the friends and family.
She knew something was going on, but I think she was still partly surprised.
Aubree found this doll and named her "Addie" she kept her wrapped in the blanket and with her at all times!

My Dad made sure he had 50 candles and 5 of us lit them all.

It took her a few breaths, but she got them all.
Then my Dad had a game for us. 25 questions about my Mom. With two bonus questions including an essay! It was awesome. He really captured her personality with in the questions. My Uncle Chuck won, but I think Carlee got the same score? And Dave and I were 1 question off of his score.
Then it was time for the music. My Dad played a song he wrote for my Mom. "Right Here is Fine." (I don't know it that's the name...but it makes sense.) And then Cherie Call, who is an amazing artist, sang two songs. One of my Dad's favorites "Home", and then one of my Mom's favorites, which is mine too, "It Passes all my Understanding". It was a surprise to have her there and my Mom was touched. (He tried to get Peter Brienholt to come too but he was in California :( ) Then my Dad played one more song. I don't know which one it is, but it was beautiful.
Aubree was really CRAZY during the songs and Soph had just about had it so we had to take off to put them to bed.

But my Mom had a great time and my Dad did an awesome job making this big day feel special. After we left he played a slide show he made of my Mom called "Zero to fifty in 14 minuets 36 seconds and 7 frames" He was pretty proud of that. We got to watch it the next day and it was AMAZING. He had his voice dubbed over and had world events that were going on the year and day of her birth. As well as throughout her life. Music that coordinated with the years and of course many fun and crazy pictures. If you weren't able to see it you should (Jenni) let me know.

On a side note. We tried to lay Sophie down around 8:30 because she was SO tired. They had a pack and play and a nice quiet room. I laid her down with some milk and left. She cried, but I thought it was pretty normal. Dave went down about 5 minuets later to check on her. She wasn't in the pack and play. She was trapped in a bathroom..she had bunched a blanket up in the corner of the crib, climbed out, went in the bathroom and shut the doors. When Dave found her she was sitting in the corner screaming, it was pitch black, and she was just terrified. She was crying so hard that she was convulsing and it took a while to calm her down. Poor thing. Later we found a big raspberry on her arm. I'm assuming from when she crawled out. It broke my heart but now I know, no sleepovers in a strange house. And she is too good of a climber. I hope she doesn't remember that she can do that....

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that everything worked out so that your mom had such a great party. I wanted to come, but I was so tired from everything that was going on.

    I love that you put my name in parentheses. I would love to see your dad's slideshow.

    Poor Sophie! She's too smart for her own good. But, then again, both of your daughters are.

    ReplyDelete