Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Number Four

In High school I didn't feel like I had any talents. I am the least coordinated person, so sports we're out of the question; I loved drama class, but I was best at stage crew :) I loved art, but my teacher didn't love my art....and then I found sewing. I took it as an elective to fill up space in my schedule, but I found that I LOVED it. I was pretty good, and amazed at myself when I finished a project. I felt good about myself and that gave me more self esteem.

Around that time my Grandma gave my Mom money for each of her kids. I can't remember if it was for Christmas, Birthday's or just because. She wanted my Mom to get something special for each of us that we could treasure for years.

My Mom loves figurines. She's a collector. She loves Willy Ray and Jim Shore and has A LOT of their collections. So It wasn't a surprise to us when she got each of us a figurine. What was a surprise is that she got mine with a brown haired girl at a sewing machine. For some reason it really made me feel special and like what I was doing was important. It showed to me that she recognized I was good at something and got me a special present reflecting that. I saw it as my Mom, proud of me and it was the best feeling knowing that.

It's from the Dollstone Collection called "Yesterday's Child" and it is a numbered figure. Any thing numbered is special...it's not quite one of a kind, but neither is it easy to come by. I have #4 of 512.

Well yesterday Aubree decided that my #4 wanted to take a flying trip down the stairs. She threw it hard and I heard it smash all the way down. I tried to find all the parts, but to no avail. Some pieces that broke off are just too small. So instead of trying to glue it back together and try to keep it...I'm letting it go. Luckily I have enough self esteem to fall back on that I don't need it anymore :) but I do want to remember it and what it meant to me. And I didn't have the heart to get mad at Aubree, as I'm always telling myself that they are more important than things....I did give her a consequence to teach her respect of other's things. But I kept my cool. (I don't always so I have to brag when I do :)

This is my ode to my #4. So I will never forget.

Here it is in pieces...



And I'm trying to hold it together in this one....

2 comments:

  1. Good job on not losing your cool. It's always so hard to remember that things aren't as important and people. I still have a hard time with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww. I've lost many a treasure to little hands. Just think you'll get to make more treasures with your girls. It's hard to lose a "Mom" present but you handled it beautifully.

    ReplyDelete